TELL ME ABOUT LIP TIES!
Lip tie is a condition developed in newborns. It occurs when the upper lip is tethered to the gum. This condition prevents the baby from breastfeeding and nursing, even through a bottle. Here at Alexandria Center of Dentistry, we offer services to treat lip ties and tongue ties.
How do you know if your baby has a lip tie?
Some signs that your baby has lip tie:
- Not able to latch properly, therefore causing pain
- Keeps moving and can't stay stable around the breast area
- Regularly chokes on the milk
- Develops jaundice
- Lack of weight gain
- Clicking noise while nursing
- Hard time breathing while nursing
What about tongue ties?
Tongue-tie is another condition that occurs at birth. Tongue tie restricts newborns from moving around their tongues in different motions. One of the easiest ways to detect if a newborn has tongue tie is to check for any difficulties he or she may encounter while sticking out their tongue. This condition affects breastfeeding, development, and even speech.